This course has finished
Delivered by: Dr. M Fareed Elshayyal (University of London)
Since the Islamic conquer of Egypt in 642 A.D, its has always been a centre of Islamic culture and learning throughout history.
An ancient civilisation where Prophets lived, preached and fought against oppression and tyrany and a people who took up the religion producing some of the greatest scholars and institutions and warriors who defeated both the Crusaders and Mongols and even today, "Islam & Muslims" in Egypt make an important contribution to the wider Muslim world and beyond.
This short intensive course will briefly look at:
- Egypt before Islam;
- Arrival of Islam;
- The various dynastical periods – Ummayad, Abbasid, Fatimid, Ayyubite, Mamluke and Ottoman periods.
- In more detail at the Muhammad Ali Dynasty;
- Colonial Period – French & British;
- Egyptian Republic: Nasser – Sadat – Mubarak;
- 2011 Revolution;
- Thoughts, challenges & lessons that may be learned.
- Also we look at briefly on Islamic Movements and key thinkers like Muhammad Abduh and others.