This course has finished
Hosted by ISBCC:
Delivered by: By Shaykh Dr M Akram Nadwi [Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies]
Date: Saturday 7th July 2012 Time: 11am – 6pm
Venue: Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center [ISBCC], 100 Malcolm X Blvd, Roxbury Crossing, MA 02120, USA
Based on 10 years of research, this monumental 40 volume work looks at 8,000 female scholars of hadith – “Al-Muhaddithaat” who played a key role in teaching, researching, transmiting and issuing fatwas in major mosques and madrasa’s from all across the Muslim world with many having renowned men scholars as their students, respect from society but all within the bounds of modesty in dress and manners.
This one day intensive introductory course will look at the following:
- Status of women scholarship in Islam
- Who were these women scholars ? Where were they ? What did they teach ? Who and how did they teach ?
- Why did women scholarship decline ?
- Why have we forgotten them ?
- Current situation of women scholarship and future
- Extensive Q & A sessions